Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Diary Entry #17

                    5:17 pm, Tuesday, May 7th, 2013
Dear Online Diary,
   I haven't posted in a while! Joy leaves tomorrow, and I'm not happy about it. :-( Well, I should be glad that we had so much time together. I want to tell you about what we did last week! I am doing a study all about herbs called 'Herb Fairies'. It's really fun, I recommend it! I have finished reading the first 2 books, which are about Chickweed and Violet. The Chickweed Fairy's name is Stellaria, and the Violet Fairy's name is Viola. Out of the 2, my favorite is Viola.....but anyways! Joy and I came home from school last week on Wednesday (Joy has been coming to school with me, and she loves it!) and after homework we wanted to play outside. Then, I saw this flower/weed that looked just like chickweed! 
(NOT my picture )
 We picked some and at first we didn't know what to do with it. But then we went inside to show my mom, and she said that she needed a poultice because she had a cramp in her hand from crocheting. (She crochets, I crochet!) Remembering what the Stellaria book said, we mashed up the chickweed with a little bit of water. (Joy isn't doing this study with me, so I had to explain some of it to her☺) When it was all mashed up, we spread it all over her hand. Then we wrapped her hand up in a slightly damp paper towel, and left it on there for ten minutes. When she took the poultice off, there wasn't any pain! Chickweed is good for warts, scrapes, cuts, and lots more! If you want to learn more about it, I suggest you click here 

Then we scored again! We found VIOLETS growing in our backyard, too! We picked LOTS, because there are recipes in the Viola book that call for violets! Want to see what we made?
 Here are the violets we picked! But that's only less than half of what we actually picked, those flowers are for candies and we were using the rest of them to make healing syrup, for your throat when you are sick. 
 Here are the flowers for the cough syrup.
 Looking.....
Joy holding a violet. (Doesn't she look so pretty?)


 We poured water into a pot, and then put it on the stove to let it boil.
  After it boiled, we poured the (washed) violets into a jar, and we poured the HOT water over them. The water immediately turned purple. It was so cool!
We covered the jar with towels and let it sit for a while.
Then we made the candy!
 Frothing the egg whites....

We dipped the flowers in the egg whites, and then the coconut sugar and layed them out on a cookie sheet. (You're supposed to use white sugar, but we only had coconut. I guess it's healthier with coconut sugar....)

While the candies baked, Joy and I went to play outside again. We made a new friend! Her name is Ruthie Smithens, and she was very nice! 

 There she is! Her Grandpa owns a ranch, and she keeps her horse there. She said that I'll have to go over to his house with her sometimes so she can teach me to ride!
Looking at the baby chickweed and some of the violets.
 Then we walked over to the other side of the yard, where the big violets are growing.
      Joy♥
 Then we climbed to the top of the hill, being careful not to crush the violets.
 Then I had an idea!
 Soon the girls joined in on the fun.
 Ruthie is in first, closely followed by Addy Rose...
 Ruthie gets her dress caught on a rock and Addy Rose and Joy speed right past her....
 Joy Choo comes in first! Ruthie Smithens is in 2nd, and Addy Rose Walker comes in 3rd.
☺☺☺

That was such a fun day! Ruthie had to go home shortly after a game of tag, and Joy and I went inside for dinner and violet candy. (Which, BTW, were delicious!) I'll blog more tomorrow, but I have to go now. Bye!

Love,
♥Addy Rose♥
§Joy Choo§

*UPDATE ON NEW SISTER*
Well, I haven't really heard anything yet, so I don't know why I'm posting.....   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment